Carers enjoy special rights due to their special status as ‘carers’. We advocate for carers to receive the right supports and environment to survive and thrive. To learn more about your rights as a carer click on the relevant legislation below.
National Disability Insurance Scheme
The National Disability Insurances Scheme is a major social policy reform for all Australians. We call on the Australian government to ensure the human rights of carers are upheld under the NDIS. Click here to learn more.
Needing a new mental health system
The Australian Government tasked the Australian Mental Health Commission to undertake a national review of mental health services and programmes. The final report was provided to the Government on 1 December 2014. We are calling on the government to enact the recommendations contained within the review. Click here for more information.
Official Carer Recognition
State based recognition:
- New South Wales: Carers Recognition Act 2010
- Victoria: Carers Recognition Act 2012
- South Australia: Carers Recognition Act 2005
- Queensland: Carers Recognition Act 2008
- Western Australia: Carers Recognition Act 2004
- Northern Territory: Carers Recognition Act 2009
- Australian Capital Territory: ACT Carers Charter
- Tasmania: The Carer Policy